Why do I need motor vehicle insurance?

Anyone who calls some motorcycle or car his own, needs a motor vehicle insurance. Without this insurance no vehicle can obtain the vehicle license in Switzerland. Because the danger in road traffic must be ensured in order to pay the damage caused to persons and property.

Third-party vehicle insurance

Every holder of a motor vehicle must have the compulsory third-party vehicle insurance. This covers damage to persons and/or property which were caused by the operation of the insured motor vehicle, regardless of who was driving the vehicle at the moment of the damaging event.

Comprehensive vehicle insurance

Anyone who depends fully on his vehicle – be it for travelling to work or even for doing his job – and who does not possess the necessary financial assets to replace (quickly) his own vehicle after the damaging event needs the comprehensive vehicle insurance.

Basically, one differentiates between the partial and comprehensive vehicle collision insurance.